Yesterday, we decided to play with a few objects in a cup. We started off with water(wet), cotton balls(soft and dry), and sunflower seeds (hard and dry). I really didn't want to use sunflower seeds but it was all I could find around the house. I soon realized what a mistake it was to use sunflower seeds.
The sunflower seeds either went to the dog or in her mouth. We took them away rather quickly.
However, once I took away the sunflower seeds, I had unknowingly created the "wet/dry experiment".
She would also reach into the other container and touch the soft cotton balls.
After a few minutes of exploring, she started to put the dry cotton balls into the water.
In the end we learned a few lessons:
- Mom should always put a towel down before playing water activities
- Michaela learned the difference between wet and dry. You can see in the picture below she is holding 1 wet cotton ball and 1 dry cotton ball. She immediately got to experience what happens to an object once it is put into water.
- Mom also learned that Michaela can get very wet during water play!!
- I need to let her explore. She will suprise me! Babies are very smart.
- Learning is fun. Be spontaneous.
- And finally, don't try to give her something that can't be put in her mouth.