First Mother's Day

In the past few years, I have completely avoided Mother's Day. I have celebrated with Chris' mom, but then went home and ignored the rest of the world until the day was over. Mother's day has not been my favorite day the past few years.


However, this year was awesome. It was my first mother's day with Michaela. It was still bittersweet, but I think the sweetness killed the bitterness.


The day started with our baby dedication at church. This is a time for parents to publicly dedicate to raise their children in a home that loves God and honors Him. It is also a time for the church to stand behind the parents and to support the parents when needed. (Not raise the children spiritually, but support them.) It was an awesome moment!


I loved the dress she wore!

Then we went out to eat with his mom and family. We were asked to go many other places that weekend, but Chris and I made the decision to just go home and spend some time with our baby.

Little did I know how much I would love the present that was given to me there! Daddy and Michaela got me a gift certificate to a spa. (I can't wait to use that.) But even more exciting was the blank canvas that he gave me. He is going to have a painting of her done next week of whatever picture I would like. I will have to show you how that turns out when I get it back. My sister-in-law's boyfriend is going to paint it for us.

There is more to the blank canvas then just the painting though. It was a very symbolic present for my first mother's day. It made me think about her life. Her mind, her heart, her thoughts, her values are all blank. It is my God given responsibility to mold her into a woman of God. This is my primary role as her mom. It has made me really stop and think about my actions with her. Am I intentional with the activities we do? Am I pouring God's values into her life? She is trusting me to raise her. She wants to know that I will hold her hand and lead her to the one that created her.



We spent sometime taking a nap on the couch after the present opening. Daddy was awesome and captured the moment for us.
We ended the day watching "The Land Before Time". I didn't realize how symbolic that movie would be either. If you remember the movie, Littlefoot's Mom dies in the beginning and he has to make the journey to the great valley on his own. Here are a few quotes from the movie that are memorable:
Littlefoot: Have you ever seen the Great Valley?
Littlefoot: Well, how do you know it's really there?
Littlefoot's Mother: Some things you see with your eyes, others you see with your heart.
Littlefoot: I don't understand, Mother.
Littlefoot's Mother: You will, my son. You will.
-------------------------------------------------
Littlefoot's mother: Dear, sweet, Littlefoot, do you remember the way to the Great Valley?
Littlefoot: I guess so. But why do I have to know if you're going to be with me?
Littlefoot's mother: I'll be with you. Even if you can't see me.
-------------------------------------------------
Littlefoot's mother: I'll be in your heart, Littlefoot. Let your heart guide you.

1 Thoughts:

Anonymous (visit their site)

What a great, sweet Mother's Day gift from everyone and from the Lord. Thanks for sharing with us. I am so thankful that you are cherishing your time as a Mommy...